It’s summer in T.O. Check out 50 things to do in Toronto in the summer, and I hope one of them is to play in this chess tournament on Monday nights in the Annex!
The Summer in the City Swiss is five rounds on Monday nights from July 24 to August 28. It’s in four sections by CFC rating: the new Masters section (for those rated 2100+), Under-2200 (for 1700-2199), Under-1800 (1300-1799), and Under-1400 (0-1399).
Rounds start at 7:30 pm. New players are welcome to join in any round with byes, but must register before 7:00 pm to be paired.
Players who join the tournament will automatically be paired for subsequent rounds. Please email before 6:00 pm on Monday to request a bye if you cannot attend. Up to two ½-point byes are available in rounds 1-4 and zero-point byes after.
Round One – July 24
The tournament starts at 7:30 pm. Please register on site before 7:00 pm if you would like to play, or email in advance. All are welcome, including new players! CFC membership is required ($48 per year; $32 for juniors) but you can purchase it from us, and we offer a variety of club membership options including a drop-in membership ($15 per night or $10 for juniors) to play in one round of the tournament.
Enjoy a wonderful evening with Aryan Chopra following the ups and downs of his journey to his final grandmaster norm when he was just 14.
- 6:30 Doors open
- 6:45 Intro talk and Q&A with Aryan Chopra and Tal Granite
- 7:30 Play a simul game against the world’s youngest grandmaster ($45 or $50 at the door)
- 8:00 Attend a special seminar with his mom, Mamta Chopra, on recognizing and motivating your child’s unique talents ($20 or $25 at the door)
The simul game would be an amazing experience for the young chess player in your family, and the seminar is ideal for the parents and educators of talented children.
Get a copy of the flyer:
Tickets are available online at guestlist.co
- GM Aryan Chopra Lecture and Simul: $50 at the door / $45 advance
- Mamta Chopra Seminar for Parents and Educators: $25 at the door / $20 advance
- ACC Members: $10 off
- New – in collaboration with Pub Chess Toronto – play 2 GMs for a special price of $80 (includes the simul against GM Vovk on July 19)
Mamta Chopra is a news anchor with India’s public broadcaster, Doordarshan, and the mother of India’s new chess superstar, child prodigy Aryan Chopra.
Ms. Chopra is coming to Toronto from New Delhi, and we are pleased to present her talk on recognizing a child’s talent and motivating children to achieve their potential. For parents and educators.
Mamta Chopra seminar – July 17
Discover and motivate your child’s genius
- Monday July 17
- 8:00-9:00 pm
- 918 Bathurst St.
- Doors open at 6:30 pm
- Tickets are $20 in advance – https://guestli.st/470262
- $25 at the door
- Save your spot today!
We’re open again on July 10 with our regular casual chess, and Rd. 5 of the club tournament!
Then July 17 is a special night with a GM Aryan Chopra lecture and simul, and July 24 we start a new July-August club Swiss.
Guess which famous grandmaster is coming to Toronto? (Hint: it’s not Shirov, he was already here.)
Meet India’s GM Aryan Chopra, currently the world’s youngest grandmaster
- How do you motivate a child with a lot of potential to become an actual champion?
- Find out from his mom, Mamta Chopra, how she recognized and developed his talent
- Hear Aryan’s story
- Play a game against the grandmaster
Coming to Toronto July 17
Don’t miss it!