2011 Hart House Holidays Open – December 16 to 18
From the neo-Gothic architecture of the building to the huge ceilings of the Great Hall, chess tournaments don’t get any more beautiful than this. It’s chess as you see it in the movies!
Organized by U of T’s Hart House Chess Club, this top-notch event has 128 players pre-registered – among them, some of the best players in the nation. In the Open Section, Slovakia’s IM Peter Vavrak and Spain’s IM Renier Castellanos join Canada’s elite: GM Bator Sambuev, IM Nikolai Noritsyn, IM Lawrence Day, and six other players with international titles. In the class sections, club players young and old – including five brand new, unrated players – are battling it out for rating points and prizes.
If you’ve never played in a real, CFC-rated tournament before, don’t miss this opportunity: Hart House is offering free tournament entry if you join CFC for the first time!
- Format: 5-Round Swiss in 4 sections: Open, U2200, U1900, U1600
- Rounds: 6 pm on Friday; 10 am and 4 pm on Saturday and Sunday
- Location: Hart House, U of T
- Take TTC: 10-min walk SE from St. George or 5-min walk SW from Museum
- Entry Fee: $70 if you’ve registered in advance; $90 cash only on site. Extra $20 to play up each section. No cheques on-site.
- Discounts: $10 less for Juniors (born after December 17th, 1993), Seniors (60+), Women, FIDE Masters, and University of Toronto students (show ID card). Only one discount per player. Free for IMs before December 9th, $60 afterwards, $70 on-site.
- full details | flyer | pre-registered | map | email: email@example.com
Note: If you plan to play Round One, make sure you get to the site for 5:30 pm at the latest. And don’t forget to bring your own chess clocks and chess pieces. Only boards are provided.