2022 Maplewood Invitational Starts
The 2022 Maplewood Invitational, a significant 9-round, round-robin, Canadian professional chess tournament, started last night at the beautiful Manoir Maplewood in Waterloo, Quebec. Six International Masters (IMs) are competing to win a Grandmaster (GM) norm against each other and four Grandmasters. A norm-seeker must achieve a score of 6.5/9 to earn a GM norm. Three such norms are needed to become a Grandmaster.
The organizers of this event are Charles Lesperance, a Partner of OXO Innovation, and Salim Belcadi, President of Annex Chess Club. The arbiters are Aris Marghetis (IA, Lead), Alex Ferreira (NA, Assistant). Omar Shah is also providing technical support.
Annex Chess Club is proud to be a sponsor of the 2022 Maplewood Invitational and is providing logistics support. Fédération québécoise des échecs (FQE), Quebec’s chess federation, is also a sponsor.
- You can read more about THE EVENT here.
- Read about THE PLAYERS here.
- THE GAMES by round may be viewed here.
- The random-draw PAIRINGS and RESULTS by round may be viewed here.
- IM Joshua Posthuma is also doing a live TWITCH STREAM of the games.
- There is also a live LICHESS STREAM.
Good luck to all the players!
Below are pics taken before the start of Rd #1, with action from Rd #1. Click on an image to see a larger version.