Over the three-day period, October 14-16, Hikaru Nakamura will be visiting Toronto and playing over-the-board blitz chess against members of the Toronto chess community, in three different indoor/outdoor settings.
Annex Chess Club (ACC) is pleased to host Hikaru Nakamura on Sunday, October 16 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM, at the 918 Bathurst Centre.
At ACC, Hikaru will play blitz games against our Club’s members, including titled players, as well as a few of our invited friends.
Titled opponents for Hikaru will include Grandmaster Evgeny Bareev, Canada’s top-ranked chess player (FIDE 2631) and former World #4, and up-and-comer International Master Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (FIDE 2482), Canada’s recent Under-18 World Champion.
Over the years, ACC’s Great Hall at the 918 Bathurst Centre has hosted a number of chess events, including tournaments, simuls and lectures, attended by some notable international chess players, including: GMs Nigel Short, Alexei Shirov, Wesley So, and Elshan Moradiabadi; and WGMs Jennifer Shahade and Anna Burtasova. ACC is now honoured to add GMs Hikaru Nakamura and Evgeny Bareev to this list.
ACC members wanting to play against Hikaru may apply through registration by clicking the button below.
If you wish to become an ACC member, you can also do that by clicking the button below and registering.
Invited friends of ACC are being separately pre-registered by our Club’s management. A confirmation email/ticket will be automatically sent out to all participants.
Hikaru Nakamura is a well-known Japanese-American chess grandmaster (a “Super GM”). His world chess rankings (and FIDE ratings) are currently 1st, 5th and 6th in the world, respectively, for blitz (2909), rapid (2789) and classical play (2768). Hikaru is also a major chess streamer with 1.4 million subscribers on Twitch (the largest such audience as of September 2022) and roughly the same number on Youtube. More information about Hikaru is available here on Wikipedia.
- Approximately 20 ACC members (non-titled) will be selected at random from the registration list with the understanding that ACC reserves the right to achieve a suitable mix of players that reflects the Club’s motto: “Chess for Everyone.” Non-selected ACC members may still have the opportunity to play Hikaru, if time permits. To add to the excitement, our members will also have a chance to play blitz games against GM Evgeny Bareev and other titled players during the event.
- ACC members, not selected to play Hikaru (through registration) or not wanting to play him, may observe the event for free. Online registration is not required in this case. (Just show up at the door and confirm you are an ACC member.)
- Members of the general public may also observe the event onsite subject to paying a $10 fee at the door. Online registration is also not required for this attendance. Members of the general public may play blitz chess against themselves, ACC members and available titled players (other than Evgeny Bareev and Hikaru Nakamura), at no additional charge.
- ACC reserves the right to: i) manage the total number of attendees allowed in the Great Hall at any time; and ii) remove anyone from the event who is acting in a disruptive manner.
- This event will be filmed. Attendees to the event must not wear any clothing displaying specific messaging or branding which might conflict with the branding of either Hikaru Nakamura or his sponsor.
- Attendees to the event may take pictures for personal, non-commercial use, however, attendees are not allowed to shoot any videos.
- ACC will have its Club Photographer/Videographer (Ken Remark) on hand to also take official pictures of the event, which will be appear afterwards on our website and social media.