It’s Toronto’s favourite annual chess event!
If you play chess in Toronto, you have no doubt played in the Labour Day Open before, and you are likely planning to play again this year. It’s the quintessential Toronto weekend Swiss!
This year’s edition of the ever-popular event is organized by the Hart House Chess Club. Do the organizers a favour and pre-register by email today!
Here are the details (copied from the Hart House website):
2012 Toronto Labour Day Open
When: September 1, 2, 3 (Sat, Sun, Mon)
Where: Hart House, University of Toronto, 2nd Floor
Style: 6-round Swiss in 4 sections: Open & U2200 (FIDE Rated), U1900 & U1600
Round Times: 10 am & 4 pm each day
Time Control: G/120′ + 30″ from move 1 (Open & U2200); 30/90′, SD/60′ (U1900 & U1600)
Byes: Maximum 2 byes, in rounds 1-4, if requested in advance.
Register in advance by August 30. Registrants after August 30 are not guaranteed to be paired Round 1.
- mail (arrival by August 30) to: Hart House Chess Club – 7 Hart House Circle, Toronto, ON M5S 3H3 with cheque payable to Hart House Chess Club. No postdated cheques, please.
- email (by August 30) to: email@example.com and pay cash on site before 9:30am September 1 – later arrivals will be charged onsite fee.
Membership: Registrants must be current CFC (Chess Federation of Canada) members or bring required CFC payment prior to playing.
Entry Fee: $70 in advance, $90 cash only on site. Extra $20 to play up each section. No cheques on site.
Discounts: $10 less for Juniors (born after September 1st, 1994), Seniors (60+), Women, FIDE Masters, and University of Toronto students (show ID card). Only one discount per player. Free for IMs before August 25th, $60 afterwards, $80 on site.
No smoking. No mobile phones. Please bring sets and clocks.
Chief Arbiter: Geordie Derraugh
Deputy Arbiter: Bryan Lamb
Organizer: Alex Ferreira & Hart House Chess Club – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download an official flyer for the event.
- Check out the unofficial event page on facebook.
- For first-time players: free entry (pay CFC dues, but no entry fee) if this is your first CFC-rated tournament!
- Prize fund, pre-registered list, etc. – check out the Hart House Chess Club site.
- Register now and pay later (cash before 9:30 am September 1)