In Monte Carlo, March 11-24, the world’s elite chess players are playing a blindfold/rapid tournament. Each round features a blindfold game followed, later in the day, by a rapid game between the same players.
Fighting for a share of the € 227 000 prize fund are:
- World Champion, Viswanathan Anand (India)
- Magnus Carlsen (Norway)
- Levon Aronian (Armenia)
- Vladimir Kramnik (Russia)
- Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria)
- Alexander Grischuk (Russia)
- Vasily Ivanchuk (Ukraine)
- Sergey Karjakin (Russia)
- Boris Gelfand (Israel)
- Hikaru Nakamura (United States)
- Vugar Gashimov (Azerbaijan)
- 16-year-old, Anish Giri (Netherlands)
Currently, after four rounds, GM Aronian and GM Carlsen are tied in the lead with a combined 6/8. American GM Nakamura is tied for 5th-8th out of 12, with 4/8.